The Talk Show American

THE TALK SHOW AMERICAN: An Open Letter to Senator Reid on his declaration of Defeat From An Officer in Baghdad

Saturday, April 21, 2007

An Open Letter to Senator Reid on his declaration of Defeat From An Officer in Baghdad

JR,

As I'm sure you've heard Senator Reid has come down with Iraqnophobia,the fear of victory in Iraq. I was pretty upset about Reid's words, I saw it on Michelle Malkin, she asked soldiers to reply. I calmed down and
sent him a fairly rational email on his website and sent it to Michelle,
she put it on her site with a bunch of others.

Here is my letter to Senator Reid. I'm no poet, so it's pretty
straightforward. If it will help you on your show feel free to quote it, if not no worries. Unfortunately there seems to be a surplus of
stupid things being said about the war, I imagine you run out of time
before you do things to say.

Jason


Senator Reid:

When you say we've lost in Iraq, I don't think you understand the effect
of your words. The Iraqis I speak with are the good guys here, fighting
to build a stable government. They hear what you say, but they don't
understand it. They don't know about the political game, they don't know
about a Presidential veto, and they don't know about party politics.

But they do know that if they help us, they are noticed by terrorists
and extremists. They decide to help us if they think we can protect them
from those terrorists. They tell us where caches of weapons are hidden.
They call and report small groups of men who are strangers to the
neighborhood, men that look the same to us, but are obvious to them as a
foreign suicide cell.

To be brief, your words are killing us. Your statements make the Iraqis
afraid to help us for fear we'll leave them unprotected in the future.
They don't report a cache, and its weapons blow up my friends in a
convoy. They don't report a foreign fighter, and that fighter sends a
mortar onto my base. Your statements are noticed, and they have an
effect.

Finally, you are mistaken when you say we are losing. We are winning, I
see it every day. However, we will win with fewer casualties if you help
us. Will you?

Respectfully,
LT Jason Nichols, USN
MNF-I, Baghdad
Jason

Read More Letters from Soldiers to Reid Here:Michelle Malkin