The Talk Show American

THE TALK SHOW AMERICAN: Al Gore Says He's Not Good at Modern Politics

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Al Gore Says He's Not Good at Modern Politics

Former vice president Al Gore said Friday that he still hasn't ruled out a presidential bid in 2008, but he doesn't expect to run and might not possess the skills necessary to be elected president now.

For months, Gore has said repeatedly that he probably won't run for office again, but wouldn't say that he would never run for office again. He reiterated that stance on Friday, but downplayed the possibility of another campaign.

"I don't want anyone to interpret that answer as throwing a little red meat out for speculation," gore said. "I am just being candid. But I don't expect to get into this race. I have given the reasons why. I strongly prefer to serve in other ways."

Gore lost the 2000 presidential election to President Bush. Gore, who lost the electoral vote despite winning the popular vote, now views the U.S. political system as flawed.

It may be easier to fix it from the outside," he said.
"Again, I haven't ruled out for all time thinking about politics again. It's just that the way it works now, I don't think that the skills I have are the ones that are most likely to be rewarded within this system. It's like a washing machine that is permanently set on the spin cycle. It doesn't stop spinning. That creates real problems for a politics based on reason."


"I expect it will take a lot more time," Gore said. "I'm grateful for those who have a good opinion of me, to the point where they think I ought to run again, but I am not convinced myself that's the best way for me to serve.

Despite what he sees as problems in the political process, Gore said he still respects the system and the influence of the presidency. While he won't completely dismiss a 2008 run, he doesn't expect to re-enter politics
"because I don't think I'm very good at some of the things that the modern political system rewards and requires, and I've found other ways to make a difference and to serve the public interests.

"And I'm enjoying them."


Talk Show America 6/4/2007

No comments:

Post a Comment